Thursday 11 October 2012

‘My name is NOT Pony or Naomi and my boyfriend is NOT Clyde!’


I am now in my third week of working in the library of La Casa-Museo de Benito Pérez Galdós as a translator. The tasks which I have been assigned are improving the English Google-translated version of the museum’s brochure, which I finished in 2 days, so I am now translating it from Spanish to Chinese. The hours are long and the money’s terrible! Joke! My hours are 09.30-14.00 from Monday to Friday and it’s an unpaid internship, so blurgh! The translations themselves ought to take hardly any time but I’m making them last as long as possible, mainly because there is no deadline and I am left to my own devices. In reality, work is a really good opportunity to check my emails, surf the net, go on Facebook (much to my own aversion), take super-long walks and chat to my colleagues for much longer than I ought to. Just the other day I went out for a walk, lost track of time and ended up taking 40 minutes! When I got back, Ana, the very chirpy woman who sits behind me chatted to me for a while before asking me if I’d been on a break and if not, then I should go and take one! I like Ana, she’s a massive ‘foodie’ and loves anything sweet! She spent a good hour, in my first week, talking to me about her trip to London and how much she loved cupcakes there. She knows all the famous cupcake companies and all the best places (in London, of course) where you can get them. It’s good practice for my Spanish though.

There is a place near our apartment called Cien Montaditos, which we frequent most Wednesdays when you pay 2€ for a beer or tinto de verano on its own, or the same price for the same drink AND a montadito (a small baguette with any filling of your choice). As you may have been able to fathom there are 100 different types of montaditos. All you have to do is go to the counter to order your drink and montadito and give your name. They then give you a receipt and you have to wait for your name to be called. Last Wednesday, J-Frog[1] (her nickname in Polish is Zaba which means ‘frog’) showed me her receipt where her name was written ‘Yoana.’ I proceeded to look at mine and written in four clear, capital letters was the word ‘PONY!’ Naturally everyone burst out laughing, myself included, but what I thought would be a transient joke has actually turned in to something more permanent. Amma now calls me Pony, or Bonbon, but mostly Pony. When we went on a yoga trip at the weekend, I introduced myself to some people who also thought that I’d said Pony. This, of course, served to fuel Amma’s Pony-calling fire.

Due to our different working hours, Mikey is no longer able to give me weekly ballet lessons. This I have compensated for by trying out a whole host of other dance forms and physical disciplines. Last week I tried out something called Biodanza, but it really was not for me. The whole focus was on relinquishing stress and ill-feeling through creative dance, then reflecting on your thoughts and feelings and those of the others who are dancing with you, by placing your hand upon your heart after every dance. Far too profound for my liking! Last Friday I had my first class in Kundalini Yoga. Not what I expected at all! Here the focus is on breathing loudly and chanting mantras to expel any stress, and cultivate the spiritual awareness of the self in order to remain calm and help others. This class was followed by a two-hour reflection about how Kundalini has helped each individual. Amongst some of the comments made were: ‘Kundalini has helped me find the real me’, ‘Before Kundalini I was sad and dissatisfied but I’ve been on a spiritual journey and found my true self’, ‘When I went on a Kundalini retreat I could feel my sexual organs pulsing in time with Mother Nature’s heartbeat’… You get the general gist. It’s a bit too sensual and emotive for my liking but hey, the classes are free so I may as well take advantage. Afterwards Amma, Camilla (her Italian friend who was lodging with us for a few days) and I were invited to a yoga meet which took place on Saturday evening at El Roque Nublo - one of the most famous landmarks of Gran Canaria, situated over a 1000km above sea level. We were driven there by Hector, one of the yoga instructors, who parked up at the bottom of the mountain. We had to hike around 40 minutes to get to the actual monument. After we arrived we had to wait around for other yoga participants to arrive, which gave me precious time to enjoy the spectacular views, meet new people and be at one with nature. From there you could see Tenerife, El Hierro, as well as enjoy panoramic views of all the nearby towns. Really, it was AMAZING! The yoga class lasted over an hour and was followed by a short course of meditation. Afterwards we had dinner on the mountain and froze our asses off when Hector decided that he wanted to chant for longer. We arrived back in Las Palmas at around midnight and were absolutely knackered. Though the strenuous activity and the fresh air made me feel like a million dollars the next day.

On Monday I tried another class of yoga which was far more suited to my taste. It was more ‘orthodox’ (to put it nicely) and had a really calming and relaxing atmosphere. The teacher was also very helpful with regards to my posture. One thing that put me to shame though was the realization that the majority of the participants, who are over 40, were more flexible than me! Oh well, practice makes perfect. Yesterday I tried a class of Bollywood dancing and it was SOOOOOOO FUN! Also, it’s much cheaper than the ‘orthodox’ yoga so I’m definitely considering taking that up.

With regards to my social life it’s still desenfrenada (wild) as hell. I went out most nights last week, be it to pasarmelo de puta madre (have a fucking mental night), to play beach ball, or just to take a walk. 
J-Frog and I have stopped frequenting Camaleón as we wanted a new place of interest. We found one last Wednesday called Soul Kitchen, which I was invited to by 2 Finnish girls that I’d met at (ha, you guessed it!) Camaleón. On Wednesdays they have live music and Sunday is their international social night. Last week I went to both nights and met lots of new international people who are all travelling, studying, or bumming around. I introduced myself to various people and it seems that when they hear the name Bonny, it tends to conjure up the name Clyde. Most of the guys there took the piss out of me by saying ‘Oh so you must be married to Clyde’, or ‘Do you have a boyfriend called Clyde?’, ‘You ought to marry a Clyde.’ (How about I marry a Clyde Tyler and that would be amusement at my expense for life!) The night culminated in J-Frog and I on the beach with 3 German guys, the 2 Finnish girls, some Italians and Luca, the owner of Soul Kitchen. We sat there playing guitar, singing songs and drinking heartily. I’ve since taken a liking to Luca, he’s a lovely old soul who never takes note of who has ordered what and ends up charging people too much, too little, or as was the case yesterday asking the customer for an offer! Luca himself is drunk or high most of the time so if you were to walk out without paying, as Hannah did the other night, he wouldn’t even notice. His waiter, Gustavo, is even fucking worse! He gets pissed and walks home talking absolute shit, and thinking that he’s the fountain of all knowledge. I would just have taken full advantage of their fecklessness, but Hannah being the honest soul that she is asked me to go back the next day and give him the money. God knows how they even manage to make any profit! We went again last night and an Israeli guy, Itai, who I’ve met several times thought that my name was Naomi and proceeded to call me that for the rest of the night despite the fact that I’d corrected him every time.

So far the no-sex bet is still on but J-Frog is almost verging on the point of breaking. The other night, when we were all nicely drunk, with three dashing Germans, one of whom J-Frog was getting on especially well, she even offered to run in to the sea naked in dubious foresight of what the future may hold! As a loyal and trustworthy friend, I persuaded her against it for various, practical reasons. Firstly, Hannah wasn’t there to witness it. Secondly, she would have been doing it with other people, so would actually save herself from the humiliation of doing it alone. Thirdly, she might actually pull through and win the bet. She’s done well so far!

So what lessons have I learnt from the aforementioned experiences? Firstly, that pronunciation has never been my forte, or most of the people that I’ve met don’t actually care about names, and secondly that I am audacious, *ahem* miserly, enough to walk out of a small-time establishment without paying, but hey! at least my infallible logic and loyalty as a friend compensates for that. ¿Verdad?

Oh yeah, we finally got a new oven last week but lo and behold the mains cut out every time you turned it on so we couldn’t use it for another week. This week someone came to fix it and so far, so good. Only thing is the nobs are in reverse order so you have to turn them to the left, instead of right, only one of the nobs has numbers AND the higher the number the lower the heat! That’s Spain for you though! At least we have a working oven… For the time being.

That’s it for now folks but join me next time for more fun-filled frolics in the Canaries!

Lots of Love,

Bugs BonnyPonyBonbon Naomi and Clyde.



[1] With respect to the individual’s request for anonymity, the author is henceforth obliged to use an alternative name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment